As a great healing food, the medicinal uses of peach are brought to paper in this article.
The peach, which is also called the Persian apple, is a fruit of the peach tree, ‘Prunus persica’ Batsch, and of the botanical family Rosaceae.
The peach fruit is a drupe (a fruit with a fleshy pulp and a hard seed in the center).
Peaches were said to have originated from China, from where they were taken to Persia. After years of spreading, it finally got to the Americans by the Spaniards. Today, more than half of the world’s peach production is from America.
The peach contains:
* About 9% sugars, mainly fructose
* Vegetable fiber in balanced amount
* A low protein content of less than 1%
* Virtually no fats
* A balanced combination of B group vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, and provitamin A.
– The B group vitamins present in significant amounts in peaches, are necessary for heart muscle cell contraction using the energy of fatty acids and sugars.
– Vitamin E, A and C, present in peaches in balanced amounts, are natures best antioxidants.
They help maintain artery health and even nourish the heart.
* It contains the following minerals in moderate amounts:
– Magnesium and potassium (essential minerals to maintain a normal and strong heartbeat rhythm).
The peach also contains virtually no sodium, which aids the heart’s activity and also prevents the risk of arterial hypertension.
Health benefits / medicinal uses of peach
The consumption of peaches are medically indicated in the following cases:
* HEART DISEASES
Researches have shown that, ” the consumption of peaches regularly is of immense benefit to any case of heart failure”. Even though peaches are not a direct heart stimulant, they do help the activity of this organ (heart).
* KIDNEY DISORDERS
The following characteristics make peaches effective in cases of renal failure:
– Mildly diuretic, and
– A very low protein and sodium content, makes them of benefit to those with renal failure.
* DIGESTIVE DISORDERS
The peach being a mild laxative are very easy to digest. They contain soluble vegetable fiber that acts as a soothing agent in the digestive tract.
Peaches are among the best fruits that creates a sensation of satiety. Their caloric content is quite low, about 43 kcal/ 100g. The depurative action of peaches helps removes the acidic metabolic wastes that frequently accompanies obesity.