Orange is a widely known fruit all over the world, it is known for its high vitamin C content. This vitamin C accounts for most of orange medicinal uses.
The following are some notable contents of an orange, which are very similar to that of tangerine :
* Sugars in moderate amounts, about 9.35g/100g, which is easily assimilated by the body and well tolerated by diabetics in controlled amounts. These sugars include: dextrose, levulose and saccharose.
* Vitamins – In addition to its richness in vitamin C, about 45-60 mg /100g, orange contains Vitamin B1 and B2, and also provitamin A.
* Minerals present in orange are mainly potassium and calcium, other minerals in smaller amounts are Iron and Magnesium.
* Vegetable fiber in form of pectin, which helps fight cholesterol. This fiber, is absent in orange juices but present in natural fruit.
* Others – Orange also contains carotenoids, phytochemicals, flavonoids and limonoids.
Health benefits / medicinal uses of orange
Oranges can be used to control several disease, some of these diseases are:
* Infectious diseases
Due to their high vitamin C content which helps in fighting diseases, orange should always be included in the diet of a person with an infectious disease or those who wish to avoid them.
A research showed that ” at least four oranges a day are needed for effective results “. Eating oranges daily is indicated for infectious diseases such as AIDS.
* Thrombosis, Arteriosclerosis
Orange helps in making the blood more fluidy and improve circulation, specifically in the brain and heart. This effect, is due to the presence of flavonoids which prevents the build-up of clot-forming platelets in the blood. Regular consumption of orange, lowers the risk of heart disease, thrombosis, arteriosclerosis and reduce cholesterol and blood pressure
Oranges are very effective when it comes to treatment of constipation. To achieve best results in treating constipation, an orange fruit is recommended.
* Eye conditions
Oranges helps in preventing macular degeneration of the retina, which is the main cause of blindness in individuals over the age of 65. This treating effect is due to the presence of carotenoids and other antioxidants in it.
* Cancer prevention
Numerous researchs have shown that ” eating at least one orange a day helps prevents various types of cancer ”
* Others includes :
* Allergies prevention, and
* Excess uric acid treatment.