Weight gain can be said to be disliked by everyone, mainly due to the dangers associated with it. Some people usually say since I don’t want to gain weight then i should reduce the intake of food. Others might say since I want to lose weight then I should take a little amount of food. Most of these steps people take are actually dumb and inappropriate steps that will hardly make any difference.
Losing weight or avoiding weight gain does not only depend on the amount of food you take but depends on the type and nature of food you consume. It is a fact that ”
a person who consumes just a plate of pastry will gain weight more than a person who consumes three plates of vegetables
• Reduce caloric intake: Calories are known to be the major cause of weight gain. Even though one cannot completely eliminate the intake of calories, then he/she needs to consume only meals/foods that provide few calories (even fewer than those the body can burn). Thus, to avoid or reduce weight gain, only foods that supply few calories should be consumed.
• Select satiating foods: There are foods in general that produces a feeling of satiety when consumed. These foods are usually rich in fiber, as it retains more water and as well increases in volume while in the stomach. Examples of satiating foods include sweet potato, vegetables, cherries etc.
Thus, consumption of satiating foods is also a vital step in an effective weight loss scheme or in the aspect of avoiding weight gain, as it helps lower the frequency of eating, thus, eating less food.
• Select low energy-giving foods: The consumption of low energy-giving foods such as vegetables is an important and effective tip towards avoiding weight gain.
Other tips include:
• The avoidance of eating between meals. This is a common attitude that many people don’t know can lead a rapid weight gain.
• Avoidance of anxiety at the time of meal, as this, research has shown that it causes more consumption, thus, more calories.
• Making breakfast and lunch the main meals of a day, and if necessary a dinner must be taken, then it should be something light like fruits or salad.
• Try as much as possible to maintain a balanced proportion of the sources of calories. The source of calories should not only be fat and proteins, but also with carbohydrates. A healthy weight loss diet should be balanced among them in 15-30%, 10-15%, and 55-75% respectively.