Cherimoya, which as well can be called
* Custard apple
* Sherbet-fruit or
* Anona, is a fruit from the cherimoya tree, which belongs to the botanical family “Annonaceae” that can reach a height up to 8 meters. The fruit can weight from 100g to over a kilo. It is covered by a scalylike design and its pulp contains numerous black seeds.
Properties of cherimoya
The cherimoya, contains
* More than 21% of sugars, which are mainly saccharose and fructose
* A very low fat contains
* A very low protein content also
* B group vitamins, which are:
* thiamin and
After having a view on the presence of these numerous B group vitamins in cherimoya, it is concluded that no other fresh fruit of equal weight provides as many B group vitamins as cherimoya
* Minerals, which includes
* calcium and
* iron, are abundant in cherimoya.
Health benefits / medicinal uses of cherimoya
Cherimoyas are highly recommended for all ages, mainly adolescents,athletes and also students. It will be found useful to all ages, as it supplies energy together with vitamins and minerals to the body.
Its therapeutic applications are:
* Stomach ailments– Consumption of cherimoya is highly recommended in cases of gastritis and gastroduodenal ulcer. They have a smooth and creamy pulp which together with its antacid effect, benefits the stomach.
* Heart failure</strong >- The two most important energy sources for the heart’s cells are carbohydrates and fatty acids. The B group vitamins present in cherimoya, acts as a facilitators of the combustion of these substances ( carbohydrates and fatty acids). The most common causes of heart failure being injuries in the heart valves, and narrowing of the coronary arteries can be aggravated by the lack of B group vitamins. Lack of B group vitamins can also cause heart failure.
* contain calcium, which is necessary in regulating the heartbeat.
* and rich in potassium and very low sodium, which meets the hearts requirements.
* Obesity – Even though cherimoyas are relatively high in carbohydrate, they prove effective in weight loss treatments, due to their satiating effect.