Coronary heart disease is caused due to the deposition of cholesterol on the walls of the arteries supplying blood to the heart. This deposition not only make narrower the artery, but reduce the flow of blood to the heart. This condition is known as arteriosclerosis.
Cholesterol, being the main cause of coronary heart disease, are formed from the fats you eat in your food. There are two main types of cholesterol, they are:
• LDL or harmful cholesterol- This type of cholesterol promotes arteriosclerosis. It is combined with low-density lipoproteins.
• HDL or beneficial cholesterol- This type of cholesterol protect against arteriosclerosis. It is combined with high-density lipoproteins.
Thus, we see here that having low level of LDL cholesterol and attaining a high level of HDL cholesterol should be our aim.
What are coronary heart disease risk factors?
There are various habits and disorders that exposes one to coronary heart disease. They include:
• Smoking– Smoking is a very dangerous habit that is extremely harmful to the heath. It does not only cause coronary disease, but also cause cancer. So, if you smoke, then you are at a higher risk.
• High blood pressure– If you are having a high blood pressure, then you are also at a higher risk of getting the disease.
• Lack of physical activity– Abstinence from physical activities can also expose you to the risk of getting the disease, as physical activities halves the risk of developing coronary disease, and also helps reduce blood pressure. You can check out the advantages of physical activities here.
• High blood cholesterol level– This is self explaining, as cholesterol is the main cause of the disease. There are several ways in which you can reduce your blood cholesterol level such as reducing the intake of saturated fat and so on.
Note: we are presently compiling an article on “how to reduce your cholesterol level”, stay up to date with this blog or subsribe to our feed in order to receive it right in your mail.
• Alcoholic beverages– The intake of alcoholic beverages also increases the risk of getting coronary heart disease.
• People who take in excessive salts, and the obese are also at the risk of getting it.
Do you want to prevent coronary heart disease?
People who are willing to prevent coronary heart disease should strictly adhere to the following tips:
• Increase the consumption of antioxidants such as provitamin A, vitamin C and E, phytochemicals and flavonoids. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts and whole grains, can provide these all.
• Avoid the consumption of saturated fats. These fats can be found in foods like milk, meat, shellfish, eggs and other meat products.
• Avoid the intake of alcoholic beverages. These beverages not only expose you to the risk of getting coronary heart disease, but also depress the nervous system.
• Engage yourself in regular physical exercises, as it helps maintain a general healthy body.
• Smoking as said earlier is an important cause of coronary heart disease, thus, it must be avoided.
Hope this few tips are found helpful, if so, stay tuned to us by subscribing to our feed.