Botanical name: Bactris gasipaes L.
Other name: Guilelma gasipaes (H.B.K) Bailey
The health benefits of peach palm are associated with its high energy-giving ability. Thus, its popular slogan is ” A STOREHOUSE OF ENERGY”. The peach palm which is also called Guilelma gasipaes (H.B.K) Bailey, is a fruit of the peach palm (Bactris gasipaes), a tree of the botanical family Palmae.
PROPERTIES OF PEACH PALM
It contains the following:
* About 40% of carbohydrate, mainly starch and little simple sugars. This high carbohydrate content accounts for its high energy-producing ability.
* Small amounts of proteins are present
* Also contains small amounts of fats
* Contains significant amount of vitamin A in the form of carotenoids. Also contains vitamin C and some B group vitamins but in lower proportions
* Minerals present are phosphorus, iron and calcium, although in small amounts
PEACH PALM COMPOSITION PER 100 g RAW EDIBLE PORTION
Energy – 196 kcal/816kj
Carbohydrates – 37.1 g
Protein – 2.60 g
Fiber – 4.60 g
Total fat – 4.40 mg
Saturated fat – 0.700 g
Cholesterol – None
Potassium – 264 mg
Sodium – 3.00 mg
Magnesium – 163 mg
Iron – 1.00 mg
Calcium – 14.0 mg
Phosphorus – 46.0 mg
Zinc – 1.40 mg
Vitamin C – 35.0 mg
vitamin E – 2.40 mg
Vitamin A – 201ug ER
Vitamin B1 – 0.050 mg
Vitamin B2 – 0.160 mg
Vitamin B6 – 0.300 mg
Vitamin B12 – none
Folate – 28.0 ug
Niacin – 1.40 mg NE
Health benefits / medicinal uses of peach palm
Each gram of starch provides the body with 4 calories after metabolism. Thus, peach palm’s high starch content makes it a good energy producer.
Peach palm is indicated in the following cases:
* WHEN THERE IS A NEED FOR ENERGY
Athletes or people involved in physical labor will find peach palm an attractive fruit to boost their capabilities. It supplies a great amount of energy to meet up with their needs.
* DURING GROWTH PERIODS
Peach palm is highly indicated during growth periods especially during childhood and adolescence, as it helps with a great deal of energy.
* MALNUTRITION AND UNWANTED WEIGHT LOSS
Peach palms high energy-givin content also explains why it is highly important during weight loss and malnutrition.
* CONVALESCENCE FROM DISEASES OR SURGICAL OPERATIONS
The consumption of peach palm is highly recommended during the period of recovering from an illness or after surgical operations in order to help replenish lost energy.
If you like this post, subscribe to our mailing list to receive our latest updates.