Gastritis, being an illness, is a condition in which the inside of the stomach becomes red and swollen. This is due to the inflammation of the gastric mucosa, a membrane lining the wall of the stomach.
The causes of gastritis are mainly due to an inappropriate diet, and harmful habits. The following are some of its causes:
• Smoking – This is an important cause of gastritis that should not be ignored.
During smoking, a substance known as nicotine together with tars are released into the saliva. These substances dissolve in the saliva and are passed to the stomach, here, they exert their effect and may possibly initiate gastritis.
• Alcoholic beverages – the consumption of alcoholic beverages is also considered as one of the causes of gastritis. So, if you wish to avoid gastritis, quit or greatly minimise the intake of alcoholic beverages.
• The intake of extremely hot or cold food/ drink can also cause gastritis.
• Certain drugs, especially anti-inflammatory drugs, can cause gastritis.
In summary, the causes of gastritis has to do with:
* the intake of aggressive substances, and
* an improper diet.
Treatment and recommended diet
The treatment of gastritis is just very simple. It has to do with the consumption of an appropriate diet, and the correction of unhealthy habits. Certain drugs like the antacid drugs are prescribed for the treatment of gastritis. All these will just be of a little effect if diet and unhealthy habits are not corrected.
Below is a recommended list of foods to eat and those to avoid for gastritis patients, or even those who are willing to avoid it.
Increase the intake of:
0ats, tapioca, rice, apple, avocado, potatoes, and cherimoya.
Reduce/ completely eliminate the intake of:
Alcoholic beverages, tobacco, soft drinks, coffee, sugars, meat, hot spices, and citrus fruits.