Image from ADAMS
A cataract is the opaqueness of the lens. It is a clouding that develops in the crystalline lens of the eye, thus, obstructing the passage of light.
Cataracts is one of the major cause of blindness all over the world.
TYPES OF CATARACTS
Cataracts are of various types, and includes:
* CORTICAL CATARACT- This type of cataract occurs in the lens cortex. The lens cortex is the part which sorrounds the central nucleus}.
* SUBCAPSULAR CATARACT- This type of cataract occurs at the back of the lens and mainly affects people with diabetes, retinitis or pigmentosa.
* NUCLEAR CATARACT- This type of cataract forms deep in the central part of the lens, and is usually associated with aging.
* Other types are
• MATURE CATARACTS
• HYPERMATURE CATARACTS
SYMPTOMS OF CATARACTS
The main symptoms of cataracts are:
• loss of visual acuity
• loss of contrast sensitivity, thus, color visions are less vivid.
• blurred vision.
CAUSES OF CATARACTS
Most people believe that cataracts is the consequence of aging, as it mainly affects people over the age of 40.
The main causes are
• Long term exposure to ultraviolent light and ionizing radiation
• Genetic factors /heredity
• Metabolic disorders
• Iodine deficiency.
Researchs have shown that “people suffering from diabetes stands a higher risk of developing cataracts”.
TREATMENT / RECOMMENDED DIETS
Today, cataracts are usually treated by surgeries. Also, diets plays a vital role in the prevention of cataracts.
The following foods are highly recommended for prevention / control of cataracts:
SQUASH, VITAMIN C and E, ANTIOXIDANTS, ORANGE
Orange is a fruit rich in carotenoids, vitamin C and other antioxidants that protects the retina. It also contains flavonoids whose action protects the capillaries and improves blood flow to the retina.
Some foods tends to aggravate/initiates cataracts, and must be avoided. These foods are
Dairy products, Total fat, Butter and Salt
According to a research conducted, BUTTER is the food that increases the most the risk of suffering from cataracts when it is consumed regularly.